Southampton, United Kingdom
CIVIL DESIGN MANAGER
Our Civil Structural Design team produces detailed design solutions across all of our business sectors including Process & Water, Energy, Oil & Gas & Nuclear. We are now recruiting for a Civil Design Manager to join our in-house design team, to lead our team of talented Civil/Structural Design Engineers. The team currently comprises of 3 designers and this will be growing due to successful project wins. This role will be based in our head office in Southampton and will report to the Engineering Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Interrogation of enquiry documents, coordination of technical support required from the civil/structural design team during tender preparations and production of design estimates. Liaison with other internal departments during these early stages will culminate in the production of Technical Proposal documents.
· Review of Subcontractor design proposals.
· Investigation of value engineering and value creation opportunities.
· Management of Trant’s civil/structural design team to ensure the efficient and intelligent production of design deliverables.
· Line Management responsibilities for existing staff and recruitment of new design team members.
· Undertaking formal design reviews throughout the project cycle as defined within Trant Engineering’s procedures.
· Coordinating quality control of all civil/structural design related deliverables.
· Approval of civil/structural design related deliverables and ensuring compliance with current codes and standards (Incl. Temporary Works).
· Coordinating the provision of technical assistance to project delivery teams during the construction, installation and commissioning phases of projects.
· Ensuring engineering change is effectively managed and reported to the Commercial team.
· Monitoring design progression for each project, in conjunction with the planning team, and ensuring early identification and escalation of potential issues where necessary.
· Coordination of project delivery team involvement to ensure buildability and commissioning input is obtained at appropriate stages in the design development process.
· Mentoring of Trant’s developing civil/structural engineers enroute to their professional qualifications.
· Responsible for ensuring that direct reports fulfil their duties under the CDM Regulations 2015 throughout the design process.
· Championing continuous improvement of the design delivery process.
· Development and maintenance of relationships with Clients.
· Identification and adoption/implementation of software packages to improve the efficiency of the design development process.
Key Skills and Background:
· A history of managing a team of civil and structural design engineers for a contractor or consultant.
· Previous experience working in a water/wastewater design environment.
· A thorough awareness of the commercial factors applicable to tendering & the design delivery process.
· A keen eye for detail with the ability to resolve technical queries and review/approve design documentation.
· A good working knowledge of BIM/Digital Delivery processes.
· Proven ability to communicate effectively, and work in collaboration with other team members.
· Although the role will be based in the Head Office in Southampton, travel to sites throughout the UK will be required periodically.
· Numeracy and technical bid/report writing.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
· Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution such as MICE.
· MEng/BEng in Civil Engineering or Civil Structural Engineering.
· Full driving licence.
At Trant, we offer the opportunity for career development and progression within a professional working environment, and we strongly support and encourage employees to gain professional qualifications. Our company benefits package includes;
Company car / car allowance
24 days holiday (increasing with service) + 8 bank holidays
Company Pension Scheme
Flexible Working (based on a core-hours system)
Free onsite parking
Employee Assistance Program
Bike to Work Scheme
Trant Engineering Ltd has a long history of engineering and construction excellence, delivering high quality EPC engineering and construction services throughout the UK and overseas. We successfully deliver complex turnkey engineering projects in sectors such as Process & Water, Energy, Defence, Oil & Gas and Nuclear.
We offer clients a range of services including design, manufacturing, installation, construction and commissioning. Our in-house design and offsite manufacturing teams’ work closely to develop technology-based solutions with a strong focus on innovation and value engineering.
We have over 800 employees and with a healthy forward order book with a projected turnover of £180m this year, it is an exciting time to join the business.
Trant Engineering Limited is committed to equal opportunities for all, and we do not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, gender, disability, or age.
How to apply:
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Internal Recruitment Team on 02380 665544.
*Please note, due to the volume of applications we are not always able to contact each applicant individually. If you have not heard from us within ten working days of application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.