Southampton, United Kingdom
Electrical Instrumentation Technical Author
Trant Engineering are seeking an Electrical Instrumentation Technical Author based at our Head office in Southampton.
Trant Engineering Ltd has a long history of engineering and construction excellence, delivering high quality EPC engineering and construction services throughout the UK and overseas. We successfully deliver complex turnkey engineering projects in sectors such as Process & Water, Energy, Defence, Oil & Gas and Nuclear.
We offer clients a range of services including design, manufacturing, installation, construction and commissioning. Our in-house design and offsite manufacturing teams’ work closely to develop technology-based solutions with a strong focus on innovation and value engineering.
Our in-house multi-disciplinary services include civil, process, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control and automation, supplemented by the design and manufacture of Control Panels, MCC’s, PLC’s, SCADA and automation systems. We also provide a range of bespoke modular and containerised water & wastewater treatment and fuel conditioning systems.
We have over 800 employees and with a healthy forward order book with a projected turnover of £180m this year, it is an exciting time to join the business.
We are seeking to recruit an electrical/instrument engineer to strengthen our team overseeing our Falklands Power Plant project. This role is for an experienced, skilled, focused and highly motivated technical engineer to join the team and deliver the commissioning procedures to support the onsite activities of the project through to a successful handover.
As a technical author, you will bring demonstrable dual discipline commissioning experience and practical skills to a small team. Working closely with the Commissioning Manager, you will ensure that all commissioning procedures are produced to meet the project schedule requirements in a safe and effective manner. You will be accountable for the efficiency, quality and safe activities of the commissioning procedures of the projects within your remit.
You will be ready and able to respond to site or client regarding the aspect of the commissioning activities outlined within the procedures produced, in a proactive manner taking into account the contract specification and safe working practices. You will ensure customer satisfaction and quality is always achieved.
• Become a discipline technical authority for commissioning activities and be responsible for correct system commissioning on Falklands Power project.
• Become an authority for the health and safety of the commissioning activities of the project.
• Develop relationships with the client to ensure a smooth delivery and handover.
• Responsible for providing progress updates and raise concerns where necessary.
• Ensure the commissioning is to the appropriate level of quality and standard, including manufacturers best practice.
• Demonstrate skills to positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the company.
• Be a guide to site for Method Statements and Risk Assessments for system commissioning based activities.
• Provide constructive input to the production of commissioning plans, inspection test plans and training manuals.
• Co-ordinate with the site systems integration team to carry out Site Acceptance Tests and Telemetry commissioning.
• Reviewing P&ID/SLD diagrams and provide strategies to commission plant and equipment to existing processes, in line with client specifications, without compromising safety and reducing risk.
• Attendance at commissioning meetings with representatives from our clients engineering and operational teams.
• As requested, undertake Factory Acceptance Testing for major items of plant.
• Liaise with site commissioning personnel and suppliers or subcontractors throughout the commissioning process.
• Provide as outlined in the project procedures, installation test checks, pre-commissioning and commissioning test checks and procedures, also equipment handover and operational testing procedures.
• Liaise with site for client familiarisation training covering both operational and technical competencies.
• On completion of commissioning records review and ensuring that all testing has been conducted in the correct manner with results that comply with design criteria. Review check sheets and compile into a dossier format. Review commissioning procedures, vendor reports and action defects.
• Assist the team with writing and producing the handover manuals to the client, compliant with the contract requirements.
Qualifications, competencies and skills
• An industry applicable qualification. Electrical qualification and with working knowledge of 18th Edition update, for Instrumentation a recognised Engineering Institute Training.
• Power / Industrial project experience preferred.
• Demonstrate capability as a technical author in previous positions.
• Significant commissioning background in the appropriate discipline.
• Understanding the importance of promoting a safety culture.
• Strong communication skills – both written and oral.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft office packages
On offer is either a competitive salary or day rate.
Trant Engineering Limited is committed to equal opportunities for all and we do not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, sex, disability or age.
*Please note, due to the volume of applications we are not always able to contact each applicant individually. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days of application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.