Southampton, United Kingdom
External Design Manager
Trant Engineering are currently seeking to recruit an External Design Manager with a background in either Electrical/ Mechanical or Civil Engineering projects, to join our design studio at our Head Office in Southampton.
Trant Engineering Ltd has a long history of engineering and construction excellence, delivering high quality EPC engineering and construction services throughout the UK and overseas. We successfully deliver complex turnkey engineering projects in sectors such as Process & Water, Energy, Defence, Oil & Gas and Nuclear.
We offer clients a range of services including design, manufacturing, installation, construction and commissioning. Our in-house design and offsite manufacturing teams’ work closely to develop technology-based solutions with a strong focus on innovation and value engineering.
Our in-house multi-disciplinary services include civil, process, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control and automation, supplemented by the design and manufacture of Control Panels, MCC’s, PLC’s, SCADA and automation systems. We also provide a range of bespoke modular and containerised water & wastewater treatment and fuel conditioning systems.
We have over 800 employees and with a healthy forward order book with a projected turnover of £180m this year, it is an exciting time to join the business.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Reporting to the Engineering Director and providing support with PQQs, Tenders and Business Development technical opportunities that may require design input.
• Interrogation of enquiry documents and engagement/coordination of any external technical support required during tender preparations. Subsequent liaison with other internal departments, culminating with involvement in the production of Technical Proposal documents;
• Investigation of value engineering and value creation opportunities.
• Responsible for the development of external design engagement procedures and standards.
• Review of Subcontractor design/fee proposals.
• Participation in commercial and technical reviews throughout the tender cycle.
• Working to develop and maintain relationships with our external design partners, and facilitating their engagement and input as required ahead of design/construction support phases.
• Working with the procurement team to define quality control, programming, reporting requirements are adequately defined for our external design partners.
• Development and maintenance of relationships with Clients.
• Identifying opportunities for new projects and work sectors.
• Championing continuous improvement of the design delivery process.
Key Skills and Background:
• A history of managing a team of multi-disciplined design engineers for a contractor or consultant.
• Previous experience working in a water/wastewater design environment is essential.
• A thorough awareness of the commercial factors applicable to tendering & the design delivery process.
• A keen eye for detail with the ability to identify technical issues in the early stages of the project lifecycle.
• A good working knowledge of BIM/Digital Delivery processes.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively, and work in collaboration with other team members.
• Willingness to travel periodically throughout UK, and to Designers’ offices as required.
• Problem Solver
• Client facing
• Work closely with the Design Manager
• Clear understanding of UK design standards
• Contribute at engineering meetings
• Engineering background (civils, mech or elec)
At Trant Engineering, we offer the opportunity for career development and progression within a professional working environment and we strongly support and encourage employees to gain professional qualifications.
Our company benefits package includes;
• A competitive salary
• Company car or car allowance (depending on level)
• 24 days holiday (increasing with service) + bank holidays
• Free onsite parking
• Christmas shutdown
Equal Opportunities & Diversity:
Trant Engineering Limited is committed to equal opportunities for all and we do not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, gender, disability or age.
*Please note, due to the volume of applications we are not always able to contact each applicant individually. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days of application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion