- Regional Design Manager - Havant
Regional Design Manager - Havant
Havant, United Kingdom
Trant Engineering Ltd has a long history of engineering and construction excellence, delivering high quality EPC engineering and construction services throughout the UK and overseas. We successfully deliver complex turnkey engineering projects in sectors such as Process & Water, Energy, Defence, Oil & Gas and Nuclear.
We offer clients a range of services including design, manufacturing, installation, construction and commissioning. Our in-house design and offsite manufacturing teams’ work closely to develop technology-based solutions with a strong focus on innovation and value engineering.
Our in-house multi-disciplinary services include civil, process, mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control and automation, supplemented by the design and manufacture of Control Panels, MCC’s, PLC’s, SCADA and automation systems. We also provide a range of bespoke modular and containerised water & wastewater treatment and fuel conditioning systems.
We have over 800 employees and with a healthy forward order book with a projected turnover of £180m this year, it is an exciting time to join the business.
We have an immediate requirement for a Regional Design Manager to manage the design on Southern Water projects (civil engineering and M&E works), within the Southern Water region (Hampshire/Sussex/Kent areas). This role will be based from our Havant office near Portsmouth and functionally, the Regional Design Manager will report directly to the Engineering Manager of our Head Office Design Studio but will work directly for the Framework Manager day to day.
- To ensure that designs are safe
- To ensure designs are delivered to the programme
- To liaise with the QS to ensure the NEC contract is administered – coordinate early warnings and PMI’s between the Client and the Principle Designer.
- Liaise with Framework Manager to ensure reports are produced on a monthly basis
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for coordinating resources to ensure the efficient and intelligent production of design deliverables and undertaking the production of process design deliverables as required.
- Providing technical assistance to project teams during the installation and commissioning phases of projects.
- Appointing and managing third party designs from specialist design consultants to support inhouse design related projects.
- Responsible for recruitment of new team members
- Approving all design deliverables
- Develop and maintain relationships with the clients
- Undertaking formal design reviews throughout the project cycle as defined within TEL procedures.
- Working with estimators, assisting and offering advice during tender preparations and providing any technical information required to support bid submissions.
- Quality control of all design related design deliverables
- To update the Planners each week with progress on the design for each project, delegating this to the design coordinators/lead engineers where necessary
- Liaise with the QS to ensure is delivered by pre-agreed dates with the design partner
- Decide if the RFI or TQ has an impact on the scope and issue appropriate notice with the assistance of the site QS
- Chair internal monthly contract review meeting to update all interested parties on design progress during the design phase
- Manage the design process during the pre-construction and as required, the construction phase
- Fully investigate value engineering and value creation opportunities
- Interrogation of enquiry documents, in the form of an Employer’s requirements
- Production of a Contractors proposal document in liaison with other internal departments
- Review Subcontractor design proposals
- Verify & control status of consultants and subcontractors drawings and specifications & maintain registers
- Facilitate the completion of the design elements of the project risk register
- Report on closing out of elements identified in the process safety triangles and identify areas where positive points can be achieved in the future
Key Skills and Background:
- A strong background in electrical engineering, technology, communications and or technology.
- A background of detailed design management for a contractor or consultant
- A history of successfully working as part of a medium sized management team of multiciliary design engineers on design and/or construction projects
- Awareness of the commercial factors applicable to tendering & value engineering
- A keen eye for detail with the ability to approve design drawings and raise technical queries
- A good working knowledge of BIM processes.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, and work in collaboration with other team members
- Willingness to travel periodically throughout UK, and to Designers offices
- Previously working in a water/waste water environment would be an advantage
- Numeracy and bid/report writing
- Chartered membership of relevant professional institution
- IET accredited BEng (Hons) degree or HND (minimum) in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Excellent IT Skills including Microsoft Office is essential
- Full driving licence
- Professional Membership with is desirable
Trant Engineering Limited is committed to equal opportunities for all and we do not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, sex, disability or age
To apply for this position, please e-mail your CV to email@example.com or call 02380 665544
Please note, due to the volume of applications we are not always able to contact each applicant individually. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days of application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.